I am an independent producer living in Illinois, Do I need to be bonded?

Unless all of the insurance companies that you are contracted with are assuming financial responsibility for the funds you handle, you will need to maintain a surety bond payable to the People of Illinois and file a completed Insurance Producer/Business Entity Bond (IL446-0152B)  with the Department of Insurance.  The minimum bond amount is $2,500 or 5% of premiums brokered in the past year  with a maximum of $50,000.